Thank you for your interest in registering for limited in-person worship at Shadyside Presbyterian Church.
The on-site service of worship originally scheduled to occur on Sunday, November 15, has been cancelled. Due to a significant increase of COVID-19 cases in our area, our church leadership has determined that in-person worship is not safe at this time.
We are committed to continuing to offer a virtual worship option so that you may join us remotely. You may access the video here on our website, from our YouTube channel, or from our Facebook page. Visit the live webcast page to access worship documents, including the bulletin, the sermon text, and the children’s bulletin in .pdf format.
Please be reassured that the Shadyside Presbyterian Church COVID-19 Task Force had prepared thoroughly and carefully for our planned return to worship this weekend, with robust health and safety precautions in place; however, the recent and dramatic change in infection rates within our community caused us to re-consider our plans out of a strong sense of responsibility to exercise the greatest possible care for one another. Once the local data is within acceptable levels again, we look forward to welcoming you back into our building as safely as possible. Though the building will remain closed for in-person worship until further notice, the SPC COVID-19 Task Force will be observing positive case numbers in addition to local and state guidelines as we pray for the well-being of our community.
When a new date for resumption of on-site worship is decided, information will be communicated promptly through this website, and pre-registration will be handled through this page. Please contact the church office with any questions regarding future on-site worship services.
Additional Information for Future On-site Services
To better prepare you for what to expect as you return to on-site worship, here are several key guidelines that have been put in place to minimize risk to those who wish to worship in person:
- While we all are eager to be together again, we acknowledge that each individual must carefully consider many factors in deciding whether to attend any in-person event. We strongly encourage everyone to demonstrate love and concern for our brothers and sisters in Christ by making choices that will protect their health and well-being, as well as your own. With that in mind, we advise you to continue to attend worship virtually in the following instances:
- You meet any criteria that place you at higher risk for severe illness as published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC);
- You do not feel well, or you have flu-like symptoms;
- You have had close contact with a person who has COVID-19 symptoms or with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 but is asymptomatic;
- You regularly come into contact with large crowds or greater numbers of people.
- Please take your temperature at home before leaving. The ushers will have a contactless thermometer if you forget to take your temperature. Anyone with a temperature of 100.4 degrees or higher should worship virtually.
- You are asked to allow for extra time upon arrival, remain six feet apart from other groups, and wear a mask if you are two years old or older. Please make sure your entire family unit enters together as a single group.
- The ushers will receive one group at a time either in the Narthex, or through the coat room door on Westminster Place, and will direct you to the next available pew. Families will be permitted to sit together, up to a maximum of four adults/teenagers (plus children under twelve). Children should remain with their parents at all times. Also, members who are not related, but who have had multiple personal interactions and exposure with each other during the pandemic, may request to be seated together.
- Please be aware that masks should be worn at all times, and that there will be no singing or responses from the congregation in order to minimize risk.
- All pew cushions, Bibles, and hymnals have been removed to aid in the cleaning and sanitizing of the sanctuary.
- While we cannot safely bring back our tremendous choir, our service of worship will feature some musical elements, including organ and instrumental music and vocal soloists.
- You can drop off your pledge offering in a large basket as you depart the sanctuary, or continue with mail-in contributions. Online giving also remains an option; please visit www.shadysidepres.org/give for details.
- At the end of the service, please wait for an usher to dismiss you, and continue your social distancing once outside the sanctuary.
- The water fountains will be disabled, and only the restrooms near the Craig Room will be available, with occupancy restricted to one person at a time.
- There will be no nursery service, no in-person Christian education, and no time of fellowship after the service. Children’s chapel and adult education classes will continue to take place online only.
- Please know that the church is committed to following the COVID-19 protocols for cleaning and sanitizing the sanctuary, both before and after each service.
The church realizes that many of these changes are not what we would prefer; however, the health and safety of members and staff is of the highest priority. Thank you for your patience, understanding, and support during this transition, and please feel free to contact the church office should you have any questions.