Current COVID-19 Precautions for Worship
Thank you for your interest in attending on-site worship at Shadyside Presbyterian Church.
Presently, pre-registration is no longer required to attend worship.
To better prepare you for what to expect as you gather for on-site worship, here are several key guidelines that have been put in place to minimize risk to those who wish to worship in person:
- While we all are eager to be together again, we acknowledge that each individual must carefully consider many factors in deciding whether to attend any in-person event. We strongly encourage everyone to demonstrate love and concern for our brothers and sisters in Christ by making choices that will protect their health and well-being, as well as your own. With that in mind, we advise you to continue to attend worship virtually in the following instances:
- You meet any criteria that place you at higher risk for severe illness as published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC);
- You do not feel well, or you have flu-like symptoms;
- You have had close contact with a person who has COVID-19 symptoms or with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 but is asymptomatic;
- You regularly come into contact with large crowds or greater numbers of people.
- Please take your temperature at home before leaving. The ushers will have a contactless thermometer if you forget to take your temperature. Anyone with a temperature of 100.4 degrees or higher should worship virtually.
- Please maintain six feet of distance from others at all times while inside the building.
- We recommend masks be worn over your nose and mouth while inside the building.
- To provide a safer area for those who are most vulnerable, please maintain social distance and remain masked at all times while in the transepts of the sanctuary, regardless of your vaccination status.
- Please be aware that our worship leaders in the Chancel may be unmasked at times in order to carry out their worship responsibilities. The clergy and choir remain masked while moving throughout the sanctuary.
- The water fountains are disabled; please see an usher if you need a single-serving bottle of water.
- Concerning children in worship:
- Nursery care is available for infants through two-year-olds during worship in the Nursery downstairs. Pagers are available. A cry room is available in the Parlor.
- At 11:00 a.m., families with children two years old and younger are welcome to report directly to the Nazareth Room downstairs. Three-year-olds through second-graders attend worship and may exit with their teachers before the sermon to participate in children’s Christian education. (If you are a first-time guest, please accompany your child to the Chapel before returning to the Sanctuary.) After worship, families may be reunited in the Chapel. On the first Sunday of the month, all children are invited to remain in worship through the entire service for Communion.
- Worship activity bags and a bulletin insert designed for children are available in the Narthex.
- Due to vaccination limitations among this age group, all staff, volunteers, and children will remain masked for safety. Parents, caregivers, and guardians are welcome to accompany their children at any time; adults must continue to wear masks at all times when in Children’s Ministry areas.
- Please know that the church is committed to following the COVID-19 protocols for cleaning and sanitizing the sanctuary, both before and after each service.
The church realizes that many of these changes are not what we would prefer; however, the health and safety of members and staff is of the highest priority. For those who are not yet comfortable returning, our live worship webcast will continue to be viewable online.
Thank you for your patience, understanding, and support during this transition, and please feel free to contact the church office should you have any questions.
Last updated: Wednesday, June 15, 2022, at 12:00 a.m.