Design for Christian Living
Lent at Shadyside
Lent is a forty-day season in the Church inspired by Christ’s forty days in the wilderness, during which our Lord prepared for His ministry of self-giving, teaching, healing, and giving His life on the cross. During this season, Christ’s followers seek to re-design their thoughts and lives in the pattern of Jesus. To do so, we may choose to share in acts of learning, of wellness, and of self-denial: dying to the old self and putting on the new identity designed in God’s image.
Join us as we begin our Lenten journey on Ash Wednesday, February 26, at 7:00 p.m. in the Sanctuary, with the Reverend Lynn M. Portz preaching in a service that includes the Lord’s Supper and the ancient custom of the imposition of ashes. Nursery care is available.
- Shrove Tuesday Pancake Dinner: Pre-Lenten celebration on February 25 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Ash Wednesday: February 26 at 7:00 p.m. in the Sanctuary
- Worship on Sundays in Lent at 11:00 a.m. in the Sanctuary (March 1 through April 5) NOTE: Worship will be online only on Sunday, April 5. Learn more.
- Adult Christian Education Topical Book Study for Lent: Sundays at 9:45 a.m., March 1 through April 5 NOTE: Christian Education classes will not meet on Sunday, April 5.
- Mission Dinner: Schenley Heights for Youth: Wednesday, March 4, at 6:00 p.m.
- Lenten Vespers continue on Wednesdays at 7:00 p.m. in the Sanctuary (March 4 through April 1)
- Guest Choir: The Virginia Glee Club: Sunday, March 8, Prelude at 10:45 a.m., Worship at 11:00 a.m., Fellowship at 12:00 p.m., Free Concert from 12:30 to 1:00 p.m.
- Intergenerational Event: Technology 101: Sunday, March 8, at 1:00 p.m.
- Palm Sunday Worship Service at 11:00 a.m. on April 5 ONLINE ONLY
- Maundy Thursday Communion Service at 7:00 p.m. on April 9 ONLINE ONLY
- Good Friday Family Service at 10:00 a.m. on April 10 ONLINE ONLY
- Good Friday Evening Service, featuring the Seven Last Words of Christ, at 7:00 p.m. on April 10 ONLINE ONLY
- Easter Worship Service at 11:00 a.m. on April 12 ONLINE ONLY
For even more seasonal opportunities, please visit our online calendar.