Lent at Shadyside
Wednesdays, February 14 through March 21, at 7:00 p.m.
Sundays, February 18 through March 25, at 11:00 a.m.
One of the oldest liturgical seasons of the Early Church, Lent is a forty-day period of spiritual renewal. As Christ spent forty days in the wilderness preparing for His ministry, Lent offers us a time of sustained spiritual reflection that we may be ready to follow our Lord into the passion of the cross in order to encounter the joy of the resurrection. Begun as a period of prayer, fasting, and instruction for adult baptismal candidates, Lent is observed today by congregations around the world as a means of following Jesus into the desert to focus upon God’s call on our lives.
Join us as we begin our Lenten journey on Ash Wednesday, February 14, at 7:00 p.m. in the sanctuary, with the Reverend Dr. Conrad C. Sharps preaching in a service that includes the Lord’s Supper and the ancient custom of the imposition of ashes. Childcare is available.
Lenten vespers continue on Wednesdays through March 21. These 45-minute candlelight Communion services include a homily, the Lord’s Supper, and music offered by the Shadyside Strings, Chatham Baroque, and the Pittsburgh Girls Choir. (Childcare is available during worship on both Sundays and Wednesdays.)
More Lenten Opportunities:
- Shrove Tuesday Pancake Dinner: Pre-Lenten celebration on February 13 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Lenten Vespers: Wednesdays at 7:00 p.m. in the Sanctuary (February 21 and 28; March 7, 14, and 21)
- Movie Night and Pajama Party for Children and Families: Saturday, February 17, at 6:30 p.m.
- Adult Christian Education Topical Book Study for Lent: Sundays at 9:30 a.m., February 18 through March 25
- Food Collection for EECM: Sunday, February 18
- Extended Connections Dinner with Lenten Activity: Wednesday, February 21, from 5:15 to 6:50 p.m.
- Living Stones Mission Experience: February 25 through March 9
- Grief Support Group: Monday, February 26, from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m.
- Music in a Great Space Concert: Sunday, March 11, at 3:00 p.m.
- Communion Education Workshop and Dinner: Wednesday, March 14, from 5:15 to 6:50 p.m.
- Pie Sunday Fellowship Event: Sunday, March 18, immediately following worship
- Extended Connections Dinner with Easter Activity: Wednesday, March 21, from 5:15 to 6:50 p.m.
- Inquirers’ Orientation Class: Saturday, March 24, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Grief Support Group: Monday, March 26, from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.
- Palm Sunday Worship Service at 11:00 a.m. in the Sanctuary on March 25
- Maundy Thursday Communion Service at 7:00 p.m. in the Sanctuary on March 29
- Good Friday Family Service at 10:00 a.m. in the Chapel on March 30
- Good Friday Service of Music and Readings at 7:00 p.m. in the Sanctuary on March 30, featuring Bob Chilcott’s St. John Passion, presented by the Shadyside Chancel Choir, orchestra, and soloists
- Easter Egg Hunt at 10:00 a.m. on the church lawn on Saturday, March 31
- Easter Worship Services at 9:00 and 11:00 a.m. in the Sanctuary on April 1
For even more seasonal opportunities, please visit our online calendar.
Photograph: Detail of the “Easter Morn” art glass window in the north transept of Shadyside Presbyterian Church, received as a gift in connection with the church’s fiftieth anniversary celebration and dedicated in honor of the founders of the church. A gift of Mr. and Mrs. Wallace H. Rowe, the window was designed by the Gorham Company of New York, 1916. Photograph taken by Ellen L. Allston.