Centering Our Lives on Christ
Lent at Shadyside
Lent is a forty-day season in the Church patterned after Christ’s forty days in the wilderness, during which our Lord prepared for His ministry of self-giving, teaching, healing, and giving His life on the cross. During these forty days, Christ’s followers seek to center their thoughts and lives upon Jesus. To do this, we may choose to share in acts of learning, of wellness, and of self-denial: dying to the old self and putting on the new identity centered in the Spirit of God.
Join us as we begin our Lenten journey on Ash Wednesday, March 6, at 7:00 p.m. in the Sanctuary, with the Reverend Dr. John A. Dalles preaching in a service that includes the Lord’s Supper and the ancient custom of the imposition of ashes. Childcare is available.
- Shrove Tuesday Pancake Dinner: Pre-Lenten celebration on March 5 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Ash Wednesday: March 6 at 7:00 p.m. in the Sanctuary
- Worship on Sundays in Lent at 11:00 a.m. in the Sanctuary (March 10 through April 14)
- Adult Christian Education Topical Book Study for Lent: Sundays at 9:45 a.m., March 10 through April 14
- Lenten Vespers continue on Wednesdays at 7:00 p.m. in the Sanctuary (March 13 through April 10)
- Pie Sunday Fellowship Event: Sunday, March 17, immediately following worship
- Connections Dinner: Wednesday, March 20, from 6:00 to 6:45 p.m.
- Grief Support Group: Monday, March 25, from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.
- Music in a Great Space Concert: Chanticleer: Sunday, March 31, at 3:00 p.m.
- Music in a Great Space Concert: Handel’s Messiah: Saturday, April 13, at 3:00 p.m.
- Palm Sunday Worship Service at 11:00 a.m. in the Sanctuary on April 14
- Maundy Thursday Communion Service at 7:00 p.m. in the Sanctuary on April 18
- Good Friday Family Service at 10:00 a.m. in the Chapel on April 19
- Good Friday Service of Music and Readings at 7:00 p.m. in the Sanctuary on April 19, featuring Charles Wood’s The Passion of Our Lord According to Saint Mark, presented by the Shadyside Chancel Choir and soloists
- Easter Egg Hunt at 10:00 a.m. on the church lawn on Saturday, April 20
- Easter Worship Services at 9:00 and 11:00 a.m. in the Sanctuary on April 21
For even more seasonal opportunities, please visit our online calendar.
Photograph: Detail of the cross located on the Communion table in the Chancel of the Shadyside Presbyterian Church Sanctuary. The inscription of “IHS” in the central medallion is a Christogram symbolizing Jesus Christ. The monogram is taken from an abbreviation of the name of Jesus in Greek. Photograph taken by John Mahood, Imagebox Productions.