Advent at Shadyside
December 1 through December 24, 2019
“Advent” means “coming” or “arrival.” During the season of Advent, we celebrate Christ’s coming into the world and watch with expectant hope for His coming again. In its historical origins, the season of Advent was patterned after the season of Lent, a six-week period of penitence and preparation for Easter. Similarly, the four weeks of Advent present an opportunity for communal discernment and personal examination, as the Church prepares to celebrate the Nativity of the Lord and looks with hope for Christ’s return.
- Sunday Morning Worship: Prepare . . . : Dec. 1 through 22, at 11:00 a.m. in the Sanctuary
- Advent Vespers: O Come, O Come, Emmanuel: Wednesdays at 7:00 p.m. in the Sanctuary
- Adult Christian Education Topical Study for Advent: Sundays at 9:45 a.m., Dec. 1-22, and Jan. 5
- Community Open House: Sunday, Dec. 8, from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
- Service of Lessons and Carols: Sunday, Dec. 8, at 3:00 p.m. in the Sanctuary
- Mission Projects:
- Choral Concerts:
- Christmas Eve Worship Services:
For even more seasonal opportunities, please visit our online calendar.
Artwork: Detail of A Visit © 2019 John August Swanson | Eyekons