Advent at Shadyside
November 29 through December 24, 2020
“Advent” means “coming” or “arrival.” During the season of Advent, we celebrate Christ’s coming into the world and watch with expectant hope for His coming again. In its historical origins, the season of Advent was patterned after the season of Lent, a six-week period of penitence and preparation for Easter. Similarly, the four weeks of Advent present an opportunity for communal discernment and personal examination, as the Church prepares to celebrate the Nativity of the Lord and looks with hope for Christ’s return.
- Sunday Morning Virtual Worship: From God with Love: Nov. 29 through Dec. 20, at 11:00 a.m. on YouTube and Facebook
- Virtual Vespers in Advent: Wednesdays, Dec. 2, 9, and 16, at 7:00 p.m. on YouTube and Facebook
- Adult Christian Education Topical Study for Advent: Sundays at 9:30 a.m., through Dec. 20 via Zoom
- Virtual Service of Lessons and Carols: Sunday, Dec. 6, at 3:00 p.m. on YouTube and Facebook
- Pittsburgh Camerata Concert: Christmas with the Camerata: Sun., Dec. 13, at 3:00 p.m. (online only)
- Mission Project: The Virtual Giving Tree: Wrapped gifts due by noon on Wed., Dec. 23
- Christmas Eve Virtual Candlelight Service: Thurs., Dec. 24, at 8:00 p.m. on YouTube and Facebook
The Board of Deacons offers a different approach to Christmas poinsettias this season. A donation to the Shadyside Presbyterian Church Flower Fund will beautify the Sanctuary during the Advent and Christmas seasons and bless others with a poinsettia delivery. You also may submit names of loved ones to be included in the Christmas Eve bulletin. Read more.
For even more seasonal opportunities, please visit our online calendar.