Advent at Shadyside
December 3 through December 24, 2017
“Advent” means “coming” or “arrival.” During the season of Advent, we celebrate Christ’s coming into the world and watch with expectant hope for His coming again. In its historical origins, the season of Advent was patterned after the season of Lent, a six-week period of penitence and preparation for Easter. Similarly, the four weeks of Advent present an opportunity for communal discernment and personal examination, as the Church prepares to celebrate the Nativity of the Lord and looks with hope for Christ’s return.
Advent Reflections: Join us in reading daily devotions for Advent, following the Daily Prayer lectionary. Download the booklet.
- Advent Family Dinner: Wednesday, Nov. 29, at 5:15 p.m.
- Sunday Morning Worship: Dec. 3 through 24, at 11:00 a.m.
- Advent Vespers: Wednesdays, Dec. 6, 13, and 20, at 7:00 p.m. in the Sanctuary
- Adult Christian Education Topical Book Study for Advent: Sundays at 9:30 a.m., Dec. 3-24, and Jan. 7
- Community Open House: Sunday, Dec. 3, from 12:30 to 3:00 p.m.
- Choral Concerts:
- Mission Projects:
- Christmas for Children and Families: Sunday, Dec. 17, at 5:00 p.m.
- Christmas Eve Candlelight Service of Lessons and Carols: Sunday, Dec. 24, at 9:00 p.m., with choral and string prelude at 8:40 p.m.
For even more seasonal opportunities, please visit our online calendar.
Artwork: No Between © Jan L. Richardson. janrichardson.com. Inspired by Isaiah 64:1: “O that You would tear open the heavens and come down … .”