Your Weekly Culinary Source
The Quarantined Kitchen shares ideas and recipes from Chef Steven Bright, Hospitality Coordinator at Shadyside Presbyterian Church, to help you stay healthy by eating well during the COVID-19 pandemic.
August 19, 2020: White Asparagus Soup
Although you still may be able to find a few bunches here and there, white asparagus is seasonal (April through June). Fortunately, this recipe works perfectly with green asparagus!
White Asparagus Soup, by Steven Bright
Makes 2 quarts
2 medium-sized shallots, diced small
1 large onion, diced small
2 T butter
½ T olive oil
¾ C white wine
4-5 bunches of white asparagus, snapped at ripe-point, then cut into 4-5 sections
1.5 qt chicken stock
Lemon juice, salt, and white pepper to taste
- Sauté onions and shallot in butter and olive oil until golden. Do not brown.
- Deglaze with wine and reduce by half.
- Add asparagus, then toss to coat.
- Add stock.
- Simmer until asparagus is tender, about 18-20 minutes.
- Season lightly with salt and white pepper.
- Purée in blender (separating solids and adding liquids as needed) until very smooth. Finish seasoning to taste.
- Cool quickly in large flat shallow pan. Transfer to glass container, cover, and chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Serve chilled.
Should you have any questions, or need helpful tips, please feel free to contact Chef Steven via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Be well – eat well!
Chef Steven M. Bright
Read more from Chef Bright by exploring other entries in The Quarantined Kitchen.