Your Weekly Culinary Source
The Quarantined Kitchen shares ideas and recipes from Chef Steven Bright, Hospitality Coordinator at Shadyside Presbyterian Church, to help you stay healthy by eating well during the COVID-19 pandemic.
August 5, 2020: Jumbo Lump Crab Beignet
Maryland blue crab season has ended, but now is the time to purchase jumbo lump crab meat by the pound!
Jumbo Lump Crab Beignet
Makes about 60 pieces
1 lb. jumbo lump crab meat
½ c clam juice
¼ c evaporated milk
¼ t sugar
½ t instant yeast
1 ¼ c cake flour
1 T butter, melted
1 ½ t black pepper
2 t salt
1/8 t celery seed
½ t red pepper flakes
3 scallions, minced
Zest of 2 lemons
- Warm clam juice and milk to 105 degrees.
- Sprinkle yeast over clam juice milk mixture. Wait 8 minutes.
- Combine flour, egg, butter, seasonings, scallions, and zest.
- Add yeast mixture and gently fold in crab.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Form 1-oz portions with a 1-oz scoop, fry in 315-degree oil until golden brown, about 6 minutes.
- Serve with chive yogurt.
Should you have any questions, or need helpful tips, please feel free to contact Chef Steven via email at: email@example.com
Be well – eat well!
Chef Steven M. Bright
Read more from Chef Bright by exploring other entries in The Quarantined Kitchen.