Your Weekly Culinary Source
The Quarantined Kitchen shares ideas and recipes from Chef Steven Bright, Hospitality Coordinator at Shadyside Presbyterian Church, to help you stay healthy by eating well during the COVID-19 pandemic.
April 22, 2020: Chef Steven’s 12 Essential Freezer/Pantry Items
- Salt (kosher; sea; iodized; or fermented salt sources, like soy or fish sauce)
- Honey [agave, beet, or molasses (for a diabetic diet) raw or white granulated]
- Flour (or gluten-free rice or chickpea flour)
- Yeast (or frozen bread dough)
- Vegetables (frozen or canned)
- Fruits and berries (dried, frozen, or canned)
- Beans and lentils (dried, canned, or frozen)
- Grains (barley, farro, quinoa, bulgar, wild rice) and rice (long-grain, like brown or white; short-grain, like arborio or sushi; scented, like jasmine or basmati)
- Meats, poultry, seafoods, or plant-based protein (fresh or canned)
- Vinegar (white; red; cider; rice; or long-aged, like balsamic)
- Oil (olive, canola, grapeseed, nut, coconut, butter, or ghee)
- Chicken or vegetable Stock
With these staples in your pantry/freezer, recipe possibilities are infinite!
Each item listed has a shelf life; please take notice of expiration dates and treat items accordingly by using in a recipe or re-packaging and freezing.
Should you have any questions, or need helpful tips, please feel free to contact Chef Steven via email at: email@example.com
Be well – eat well!
Chef Steven M. Bright
Read more from Chef Bright by exploring other entries in The Quarantined Kitchen.