The Howard C. Scharfe Fellowship Endowment
To grant fellowships in amounts appropriate to the needs of individual recipients, including sums required for graduate study, either in the United States or abroad, by ordained ministers.
The Session, in selecting persons to receive fellowship grants, shall give preference to those:
- who at the time are or have been ministers of churches in the Presbytery of Pittsburgh of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
- or who have other direct or indirect relationships to churches in the Presbytery of Pittsburgh of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and the Session shall give special preference to those having such relationships to Shadyside Presbyterian Church
The Howard C. Scharfe Fellowship Endowment shall be administered by the Session Committee on Adult Education. All proposals recommended by the Committee for funding must be approved by the Session.
Graduate study programs shall be selected in amounts appropriate to the needs of individual recipients. Funds may be allocated from the available Scharfe Fellowship Endowment according to the following guidelines and procedures:
- A completed Scharfe Fellowship Grant Application must be submitted to the Session Committee on Adult Education by April 15 for monies to be applied to the Summer/Fall term, or by October 31 for monies to be applied to the Spring/Winter term.
- Submission in writing of:
- The nature and content of the program.
- Some anticipated benefits to your current ministry that you expect to derive from participating in this full-time graduate program.
- Upon request, recipient of the Howard C. Scharfe Fellowship Endowment will present to the Session Committee on Adult Education a written and/or oral description of:
- The actual program, and an assessment of the experience.
- A plan for ways in which the applicant’s experience could be communicated to and, perhaps, enhance the faith-life of this congregation, including some projected examples of how one could accomplish such.
- The typical expenses for this endowment are intended for registration fees and tuition.
- All proposals recommended by the Session Committee on Adult Education for funding must be approved by the Session. All disbursements are subject to the discretion of the said Committees and their decision is final.