As of May 18, 2023, the COVID-19 community level for Allegheny County has been categorized as Low (Green). Each individual may make a personal decision about wearing masks while inside the church building.
Services of worship at Shadyside Presbyterian Church continue to be held on-site and online. Although pre-registration is no longer required to attend worship, other safety precautions and protocols remain in effect. To better prepare yourself for what conditions to expect as you gather for on-site worship, please visit this page of the church website to review current worship practices.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we continue to adapt to the changing landscape of the pandemic.
About Masking and CDC COVID-19 Community Levels
The Shadyside Presbyterian Church COVID-19 Task Force has established the following guidelines for indoor masking, consistent with guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), based on COVID-19 community levels for Allegheny County.
- Red (High): Masks are required inside the church building.
- Yellow (Medium): Masks are suggested inside the church building.
- Green (Low): Each individual may make a personal decision about masking inside the church building.
Please note the following exceptions will remain in effect even during yellow (medium) and green (low) community levels:
- Masks will be required at all times in the transepts of the sanctuary to provide a safer area for those who are most vulnerable. (Seating in these pews will also continue to maintain social distance.)
- All participants in Children’s Ministry activities will remain masked for safety, including staff, volunteers, and children. Parents, caregivers, and guardians are welcome to accompany their children at any time; adults must continue to wear masks at all times when in Children’s Ministry areas.
In addition, please also be aware that our worship leaders in the Chancel may be unmasked at times in order to carry out their worship responsibilities, even during red (high) community levels.
Shadyside Presbyterian Church will make every effort to keep our website updated with current masking guidelines, especially www.shadysidepres.org/covid-19 and www.shadysidepres.org/covid-19/current. Please check the website on Saturdays to inform your decisions and preparations for attending Sunday worship in person. In the event the church website has not been updated by the Saturday prior to worship, you may check the CDC website using the following steps:
- Direct your web browser to www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/covid-by-county.html.
- Locate the COVID-19 County Check section, and, under “Select a Location,” select “Pennsylvania” under “State.”
- Then select “Allegheny County” under “County.”
- Press the “Go” button.
- The current community level will be displayed.
Alternatively, you may click the button below, which will open a new tab in your web browser. Scroll down to “COVID-19 Community Level” under “Allegheny County, Pennsylvania” to view the current community level.
About the COVID-19 Task Force
The Shadyside Presbyterian Church COVID-19 Task Force continues to meet regularly to monitor data and to prayerfully discern our path forward. Formed by Session of Shadyside Presbyterian Church, the COVID-19 Task Force is comprised of the Reverend Austin Crenshaw Shelley; Trustee Alex Dick; and Elders Don Coffelt, Brigetta Del Re, Rob Ferguson, Carla Gedman, Bob Luthultz, and Alex Viehman. These individuals have committed their time in order to give these matters the careful and faithful consideration required. Other staff members and experts serve in an advisory capacity as needed.
For nearly two and a half years, the task force met regularly to monitor data and to prayerfully discern our path forward. The task force now meets as needed. Thank you for your prayers for the task force as they made important decisions for the well-being of our congregation and community. If you have concerns or thoughts to share, you are welcome to contact the task force through the church office.
- To access the current version of the COVID-19 Task Force’s policy and protocols document, visit www.shadysidepres.org/covid-19/guidelines.
- To read all previous COVID-19 announcements, visit the coronavirus archive by clicking here.
Architectural Photograph: Detail of a caduceus in the 1968 bronze bas-relief by Virgil Cantini at Shadyside Presbyterian Church. Dedicated to Shadyside physician W.D. Richards, the artwork depicts the woman who touched the hem of Christ’s garment and was healed (Luke 8:43-48).