The Board of Deacons
The Board of Deacons’ ministry is one of compassion, witness, and service in our love of Jesus Christ.
Our mission is to minister to those who are in need, to the sick, to the friendless, and to any who may be in distress, both within and beyond our community of faith. Some of these ministries include:
- Meal Train: This is a church-wide, web-organized endeavor to supply congregants with meals in times of need. For more information, write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Flower Ministry: Each Sunday after worship, deacons divide the lovely chancel flowers into bouquets which are available for distribution to those who are sick and homebound. Feel free to take a bouquet to share with a neighbor or friend. Christmas poinsettias and Easter lilies are also delivered to those unable to be in church.
- College and Military Ministry: Care packages are lovingly prepared twice a year and sent to our college students and those serving in the military.
- Homebound Connections: Deacons regularly connect with members who are unable to come to worship because of health or mobility issues.
- East End Cooperative Ministry (EECM) Shelter Dinners: Twice a year, the deacons prepare and serve dinner to the residents of the EECM shelter.
- Appreciation Luncheons: The deacons host luncheons for the choir and for the staff to express the congregation’s appreciation for their ministry.
- Greeting: The deacons often can be found greeting after worship during our time of fellowship.
- Care Letters: Letters of care and encouragement are prepared each week for those who are ill or homebound, and are available on the table in the Narthex (at the back of the Sanctuary) for all to sign. These letters are mailed out from the church office on Mondays.
- Strawberry Festival: Our friends and neighbors are invited to this annual event every June, which includes food for sale, and, of course, strawberry shortcake! Games for the children fill the adjacent McClintock property. All proceeds from this event support one of our mission partners.
For more information about any of the Board of Deacons’ ministries, please contact Rev. Lynn Portz, Associate Pastor for Parish Life. To view the roster of individuals currently serving on the Board of Deacons, please visit this page.