Shadyside Presbyterian Church’s Campus Ministry is led by Rebecca Verley (CMU) and Katherine Ey (Chatham), who serve area campuses in partnership with the CCO (Coalition for Christian Outreach) and SPC. The CCO’s vision is “transforming college students to transform the world.” The CCO partners with churches, colleges, and organizations to develop men and women who live out their Christian faith in every area of life. Rebecca and Katherine work with SPC’s Campus Ministry MAC to build bridges between the church and nearby universities.
Meet/Contact the Campus Ministry Staff
Campus Staff Worker at Carnegie Mellon University
412-682-4300, ext. 123
Campus Staff Worker at Chatham University
412-682-4300, ext. 133
During the Academic Year
- Donut Society: College students are invited to share donuts and coffee while studying Scripture before worship. Come for community, study, and free food! Join us in the Walton Library at 9:30 a.m. each Sunday starting in September.
- On-Campus Fellowship Opportunities: Along with the ministry opportunities we have at Shadyside, we work with students and fellowships at CMU and Chatham to develop communities of faith.
- Transformative Opportunities: Venture with us off-campus to the annual Jubilee Conference hosted in Pittsburgh. We also occasionally participate in short-term mission trips with SPC's International Partnerships MAC during spring break.
- Campus MAC Bridge Events: Three times a year, college students and SPC congregants are invited to join together for a fun social gathering to create bridges that nurture relationships between these two communities. Events include an autumn progressive dinner, December Christmas party, and a spring Pirates baseball game.
- Finals Cookie Handouts: During finals week, church members bake and distribute bags of treats to students at CMU and Chatham during a more intense time of study as a tangible expression of God’s love and grace to them.
During the Summer
- Any college students in Pittsburgh during the summer are invited to gather in Schenley Park on Wednesday evenings at 7:00 p.m. for dinner and lawn games. Check out the Facebook group for details.
- The CCO strongly encourages students to take advantage of summer transformative opportunities, such as Experience India and the Ocean City Beach Project. To learn about other summer opportunities, visit the CCO website.