Shadyside Presbyterian Church’s Campus Ministry is led by Rebecca Verley (CMU) and Katherine Ey (Chatham), who serve area campuses in partnership with the CCO (Coalition for Christian Outreach) and SPC. The CCO’s vision is “transforming college students to transform the world.” The CCO partners with churches, colleges, and organizations to develop men and women who live out their Christian faith in every area of life. Rebecca and Katherine work with SPC’s Campus Ministry MAC to build bridges between the church and nearby universities.
Meet/Contact the Campus Ministry Staff
Campus Staff Worker at Carnegie Mellon University
412-682-4300, ext. 123
Campus Staff Worker at Chatham University
412-682-4300, ext. 133
During the Academic Year
- Campus Connections: Local college students and Shadyside congregation members are paired together to help each other build community and establish a home-away-from-home for students. Participants meet roughly once a month to enjoy a show, sporting event, concert, meal, etc. This does not need to be a huge time commitment, just an opportunity for college students to get away from campus and get to know a church member. Hosts and students are all invited to gather together periodically throughout the school year to connect with the entire network of Campus Connections.
- College Lunches: College students are invited to remain after worship on Sundays for free lunch with other students in their midst. Students from more than just CMU and Chatham worship at SPC, and this gives them all an opportunity to begin building more significant relationships with students at other schools.
- Finals Cookie Handouts: During finals week, church members bake and distribute bags of treats to exhausted, stressed-out students at CMU and Chatham as a tangible expression of God’s love and grace to them.
- On-Campus Fellowship Opportunities: Along with the ministry opportunities we have at Shadyside, we work with students and fellowships at CMU and Chatham to develop communities of faith.
- Transformative Opportunities: Venture with us off-campus to the annual Jubilee Conference hosted in Pittsburgh. We also occasionally participate in short-term mission trips with SPC's International Partnerships MAC during spring break.
During the Summer
- Any college students in Pittsburgh during the summer are invited to gather in Schenley Park on Wednesday evenings at 7:00 p.m. for dinner and lawn games. Check out the Facebook group for details.
- The CCO strongly encourages students to take advantage of summer transformative opportunities, such as Experience India and the Ocean City Beach Project. To learn about other summer opportunities, visit the CCO website.